Re: [ontolog-forum] Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Phil Murray <pcmurray2000@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:08:49 -0500
Speaking as an outsider ... this is an interesting thread, but many of
the observations seem to imply restrictive contexts or are at odds with
direct observation.    (01)

John S. begins with an excerpt from Chen's paper, including: "English
requires speakers to encode a distinction between present and future
events ...[snip]"    (02)

No, it doesn't, strictly speaking. You can say, "It rains tomorrow." and
be understood perfectly by almost every English speaker, even if the
sentence occurs in isolation. But you will probably be thought of as
someone who has limited familiarity with "standard" English.    (03)

JS: "The strong [Sapir-Whorf] hypothesis implies that a person's native
language makes
it difficult or impossible to think outside the constraints of that
language."    (04)

John notes that this assertion is probably untenable. One reason, I
think, is that it assumes or implies some "perfect" condition of
unchanging, complete mastery of some unchanging language.    (05)

It is difficult not to notice that natural languages strongly influence
how people think. But when people slow down and reflect on the
vocabulary (and, less frequently, the syntax) of their own natural
languages, they are often fully aware that the standard natural language
is not sufficient to describe what they are observing or what they want
to convey. So they produce variations on existing vocabulary, create new
terms, or create circumlocutions.    (06)

What's more, we should not confuse lack of knowledge of specific facts
with incomplete tools in the language used to express an idea. Nor with
insufficient vocabulary.    (07)

JS: "Brain scans show that such study [of music, mathematics, or any
branch of science] does indeed make detectable changes in the brain."    (08)

I suspect that *every* significant novel experience makes detectable
changes in the brain, especially when we are younger. I have nothing to
prove that, however.    (09)

Jack Park: Quoting the Wikipedia article that Jack pointed to: "[Loglan]
was developed beginning in 1955 by Dr James Cooke Brown with the goal of
making a language so different from natural languages that people
learning it would think in a different way if the hypothesis were true."    (010)

But isn't the rationale for Loglan virtually untestable in the real
world??? Wouldn't you have to isolate a group of people from birth from
all influences from the external world? And maintain that isolation for
decades???    (011)

Regarding Steven Ericsson-Zenith's interesting insertion of the topic of
computer languages: It's very clear that specific computer languages
constrain the solutions that programmers produce. But I doubt that a
specific language limits what a good programmer thinks should be
possible. This is why programmers grumble about their language they are
required to use, at times, and why new programming languages -- and new
features for older languages -- emerge.    (012)

And don't we simply assume that some computer languages are better for
some requirements than others? Don't computer scientists prefer some
languages over others, as Rich Cooper notes about himself? Isn't that a
case of pre-selection?    (013)

In general, doesn't language evolve to reflect culture???  Isn't that
more true than the assertion that any specific natural language
intrinsically limits what can be thought by a speaker of that language?    (014)

Meaning *precedes* language, but they become intricately
intertwined.However, our awareness of that interdependency is often
limited ... and often changing. (See also, Rich Cooper's observation
that "I can ride a bike, but I couldn’t explain to my kids HOW I ride a
bike.")    (015)

Just my two cents.    (016)

       Phil Murray    (017)

The Semantic Advantage