Re: [ontolog-forum] Frege-Whitehead hypothesis (was Sapir-Whorf)

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pcmurray2000@xxxxxxxxx
From: "Hassan Aït-Kaci" <hassanaitkaci@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 17:34:29 +0100
On 2/26/2013 4:27 PM, Phil Murray wrote:
I cannot find good examples in
which meaning does *not* "precede" language. And, yes, they become
intricately intertwined, whether easy or difficult ... but perhaps to a
different degree for a second language.

I'd say a good example might be poetry...

I write poetry (mostly in French but some in English) although in quite a non-conventional way. Basically, I like to play on word sounds so that what you read and what you hear have different meanings. Relating these is also a game where imagery is suggested not so much by what is written as it is by what you hear (or rather a conjugation of both). I generally start with a situation or a mood, and build sentences (or proto-sentences) that I weave in a kaleidoscopic maze of  sounds with meanings orbiting around, or in and out of, this specific frame of mind or mood (viz., my confused feelings while composing it). The (generally) hidden meaning(s) is (are) revealed gradually - often after many readings, depending also on the reader's background and how much s/he shares of my own experiences. French is particularly adequate for this sort of word play because (contrary to English, for example) it is a stressless language (i.e., all syllables are pronounced with equal stress).

--
-hak