Re: [ontolog-forum] Conceptual objects (WAS: NULLs and 3+1 vs. 4D ontolo

To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 18:06:19 -0000
Dear Doug,
See below.
Matthew

> >> Agreed.  Is there a need for assigning a location to a shared mental
> >> concept?
>
> > MW: A mental concept is (I would argue) a representation of some thing.
> > Presumably, a shared mental concept are metal concepts of different
> > people that represent the same thing, so it is the location of the
> > thing that is relevant, because that is how you know that the mental
> > concepts are shared representations.
> >> There are various representations of different portions of such
> >> concept (in brains, books, films, digital memory objects, and actions
> >> (performances, showings, broadcasts) which themselves have locations.
> >> I'd prefer to call
> >> them aspatial, but if you must assign a location, i'd suggest Earth
> >> plus whatever range broadcasts may have reached outside of Earth.
> >> Sherlock Holmes, the character, certainly existed on the Moon when
> >> Buzz Aldrin was there.
>
> > MW: Representations are things in their own right, and must have a
> > location of some sort.
>
> Agreed.
>
> You are arguing that a "mental concept" is a representation and a "shared
> mental concept" is what? -- a group of representations?
> If it is a set of representations, then it is aspatial, but if it is a
group,
> then it has the mereological spatial sum of its group members.  If it is a
> group of events and physical objects, then it would have (at any given
> time) a mass equal to the sum of all the group members.  So the mass of
the
> character, Sherlock Holmes, would be the mass of all physical
representations
> of him (at any given time), including the mass of all books, movie reels,
> digital storage, brain memory regions, and actors happening to be playing
> Sherlock at the time.
>
> It seems to me that such a meaning for the "shared mental concept"
> would have a lot of properties that i would not expect for the character.    (01)

MW: Quite, so we are almost certainly interested in the set, which would
have the properties common to each Sherlock Holmes, rather than the
aggregate.

> >> That is not the question.  The question is a location for conceptual
> >> artifacts in the "real" world.
>
> > MW: As I said above, what you have in the real world are
> > representations of what "conceptual artifacts" are about.
>
> Such objects, whether artifacts, or representations in people's brains
> certainly do exist.  But i would distinguish the collection of
representations
> from the concept.    (02)

MW: In which case I have to ask what you think a concept is if it is
something different from the set of all things that exemplify the concept?

> >> inMt: PeopleDataMt.
> >> (isa ArthurConanDoyle MaleHuman)
> >> (firstName ArthurConanDoyle "Arthur") (middleName ArthurConanDoyle
> >> "Conan") (lastName ArthurConanDoyle "Doyle") (familyName
> >> ArthurConanDoyle "Doyle") (isa ConceivingOfSherlockHolmes CWCreation)
> >> (performedBy ConceivingOfSherlockHolmes ArthurConanDoyle)
> >> (dateOfEvent ConceivingOfSherlockHolmes (YearFn 1886))
> >> (outputsCreated ConceivingOfSherlockHolmes SherlockHolmesWorld)
> >> (holdsAfter (YearFn
> >> 1886)
> >>   (isa SherlockHolmesWorld FictionalContext)) (outputsCreated
> >> ConceivingOfSherlockHolmes SherlockHolmes) (holdsAfter
> >> ConceivingOfSherlockHolmes
> >>   (isa SherlockHolmesWorld FictionalCharacter)) (isa OneBushVillas
> >> HumanResidence) (holdsIn ConceivingOfSherlockHolmes
> >>   (streetAddressText OneBushVillas
> >>     "1 Bush Villas, Elm Grove, SouthSea, Portsmouth, England"))
> > (eventOccursAt
> >> ConceivingOfSherlockHolmes OneBushVillas)
> >>
> >> inMt: SherlockHolmesWorld
> >> (isa SherlockHolmes AdultMaleHuman)
> >> (firstName SherlockHolmes "Sherlock") (lastName SherlockHolmes
> >> "Holmes")
>
> > MW: Conceiving of here means writing down a representation of a
> > possible world in which Sherlock Holmes exists.
>
> I interpreted you to mean the mental act of conceiving of Sherlock Holmes,
> after which a representation existed in ACD's brain.  After the initial
> conception (using this meaning), properties of the character were fleshed
out
> over a number of years.  One could easily add assertions about acts of
writing
> character sketches, drafts of chapters and stories about Sherlock Holmes.    (03)

MW: That seems fine. One just needs to keep clear the difference between a
representation and what it is a representation of.

> >> inMt: PeopleDataMt.
> >> (startsDuring (YearFn 1887) SherlockHolmes)
>
> > MW: Well, before this date the representation does not exist. But
> > probably Sherlock Holmes was not himself born in that year.
>
> This is where context is important.  In our world, Sherlock Holmes is a
> fictional character, and as such was never born.  In Sherlock Holmes's
world,
> there was a birth date.  Given an approximate year of the setting for a
story
> and Sherlock's approximate age during the story, an approximate birth date
can
> be assigned in that context.
>
> inMt: SherlockHolmesWorld.
> (birthDate SherlockHolmes (DayFn D (MonthFn M (YearFn Y)))) ; for the
> appropriate day month and year.
>
> Note that this would not be true in the real world.
>     (04)

MW: Well I would say of course that there is a possible world in which he
does have a birth date, but that possible world is not ours, and that is
what the representation is of. So that would seem to equate your context, to
an appropriate possible world.    (05)

Regards    (06)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 1489 880185
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (07)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (08)

> >> inMt: PeopleDataMt.
> >> (holdsSometimeDuring
> >>    (TimeIntervalBetweenFn (YearFn 1800) (YearFn 1886))
> >>    (and
> >>       (isa JosephBell HumanAdultMale)
> >>       (firstName JosephBell "Joseph")
> >>       (lastName JosephBell "Bell")
> >>       (occupation JosephBell Doctor))) (<wasPartiallyInspiredByFor>
>
> > MW: Strings like this do not really mean anything at all.
>
> The angle brackets were to indicate that such a predicate does not
currently
> exist in OpenCyc.  The predicate would have to be defined before it had a
> meaning, if that's what you mean.
>
> I did not take the time to define the predicate for the purpose of showing
an
> example of encoding the sentences.  Most other examples of ontology
snippets
> i've seen in the Ontolog Forum do not restrict themselves to previously
> defined terms.
>
> There were several other questions, which i failed to answer earlier, of
the
> form:
>
> These are asking whether two things are "the same" in different contexts.
> Inter-contextual reasoning depends upon clearly stating what contexts are
> being asked about, and from what context the answer is being sought.
>
> The context of (1) is "In our world" and refers to the creation of a
fictional
> character.  The fictional character has properties (of having a creator,
of
> having a name, of having a creation date, and of being a character in a
> specified fictional context.
>
> The context of (4) is also "In our world" and refers to additional
fictional
> contexts in which the fictional character is a character.
> (1) specifies properties about the fictional character at time T1, while
(4)
> specifies properties about the fictional character at time T2, both
properties
> "in our world".
>
> The question whether the two described fictional characters are "the same"
> seems to be similar to a question whether whether the baby Arthur Conan
Doyle