Re: [ontolog-forum] Conceptual objects (WAS: NULLs and 3+1 vs. 4D ontolo

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 17:26:38 -0500
On Mon, January 28, 2013 17:47, Matthew West wrote:
> doug foxvog wrote:
> <snip>

>> > MW: Quite, so we are almost certainly interested in the set, which
>> > would have the properties common to each Sherlock Holmes, rather
>> > than the aggregate.    (02)

>>df: However, sets are timeless, but the "shared mental concept" is not.  It
>> started at a certain time.  It has a creator, and other properties that
>> would not apply to a set.
>
> MW: Sets may be timeless, but all their members can be restricted in the
> time they are created. Take car models as an example. I don't agree that
> there is a creator of a shared concept. There are just the separate
> creation of concepts in different people's brains, caused perhaps by
> transmission of
> that concept. So I think the set of similar but separate concepts in
> different brains is the closest to reality you are going to get.    (03)

You are saying that your method is unable to describe something like
the fictional character, Sherlock Holmes.  For ontologists who find it
useful to model such things (let's call them "conceptual works"), another
method is needed.    (04)

>> > MW: In which case I have to ask what you think a concept is if it is
>> > something different from the set of all things that exemplify the
>> > concept?    (06)

>>df: I would define a "shared mental concept" as a temporal massless
>> entity which can have an unlimited number of physical objects and
>> events representing it, such representations may be more or
>> less accurate and precise.  Some representations may only
>> represent part of the concept; others may
>> incorrectly represent certain parts of the concept.
>> Representations may be of different forms: physical objects to be read;
>> physical objects to be projected by physical devices, events of people
>> acting out events which are part of the "shared mental concept",
>> events of people
>> reading text of the "shared mental concept", etc.    (07)

> MW: I'm afraid that is too wishy-washy for me.    (08)

This sort of thing has been ontologized in detail.  I'm not writing a paper
to support each statement i make.  Look into Cyc's #$ConceptualWork
and its thousands of specializations and associated predicates.    (09)

> For me there are only
> representations and the things they represent, and sets of those things.    (010)

The fictional character, Sherlock Holmes, (or any other conceptual work)
is a thing represented by various representations.  I don't know what
the utility is of modeling the character as a set would be.  Would you
consider it to have finite or infinite cardinality?  If you modeled it as
a set, you couldn't use existing relations (such as "starting time",
"creator", "starts after", etc.) for it and would need to create new
predicates to state much of what one would want to state about such
things.    (011)

> A shared concept is not something you can create out of nothing
> it starts in one place and spreads. So I still think that the set is
> the best way to handle what you want.
> It can contain what is common to the different representations,
> e.g. each of these representations represents the same thing.    (012)

It's that "same thing" that i'm ontologizing.    (013)

>> A "shared mental concept" would have subtypes
>> such as accounts, agreements,
>> obligations, laws, and games (such as Chess).  Each of these subtypes of
>> "shared mental concept" would have a number of different relations which
>> apply to them and rules for such relations.    (014)

> MW: Gee. I'm afraid I follow Searle for socially constructed objects. I
> would not think of any of them as "shared mental concepts" fundamentally,
> but of course they can all have representations in peoples brains.    (015)

I'm not sure who first used the term "shared mental concept".  I prefer the
term "conceptual work", with a meaning that Cyc names
#$DevisedPracticeOrWork.    (016)

>> These various features (partial representation, incorrect
>> representation,
>> ...) do not seem to me to be possible features of sets.    (017)

> MW: A set can have whatever members you want (as long as you can
> identify them) and they can have subsets with qualifications.    (018)

Of course.  I'm referring to the mass of relations that need to be
defined.  I don't like calling temporal objects sets.  Mathematical
sets are atemporal.    (019)

--  doug foxvog    (020)