Re: [ontolog-forum] NULLs and 3+1 vs. 4D ontologies (was Re: Knowledge g

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 19:11:54 -0500

I think discussions like this depend very much on one’s philosophy about the relationship between an abstraction and a realization of it, particularly when it comes to real and fictitious individuals.  The problem is that no one’s impression of an ‘actual individual’, assuming we have some belief in “reality”, IS the actual individual, but one’s conceptualization is not what is meant by a reference to the individual, either.  So, is a fictional character a classifier that may be instantiated in some possible (fictional) worlds, or is the character only its instantiation in a particular fictional world?

It seems to me that Matthew’s answers follow some set of answers to these questions, but I offer another possible approach below.

It also seems to me that we are fast approaching the 6 degrees of separation between any two unrelated topics.

-Ed