Re: [ontolog-forum] What is Data? What is a Datum? 2013-01-09-0930

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 16:13:42 -0500
On 1/11/13 11:45 AM, Ed Barkmeyer wrote:
> Kingsley,
>
> I generally agree.  A proposition is a sentence.  Technically,  the
> general notion of 'sentence' includes "modalities": declarative,
> interrogative, imperative, hortative.  So if your logic includes enough
> modalities, every sentence is a proposition.  I think you are talking
> about "declarative sentences", when you refer to "statements".
>
> But making a sentence/proposition into a 'datum' requires one more
> element -- the acceptance that the proposition is true.  A 'datum' is a
> proposition that is taken to be true.  Interestingly, however, when one
> deals with "outlier data" in a statistical analysis, one asks whether
> there is some uncontrolled variable or the outliers are "dubious
> observations", i.e., propositions that might not actually be true as
> reported.
>
> I also agree, BTW, that a paragraph is just a small corpus -- a
> collection of 1 or more sentences/propositions.  And 'data' is a
> collection of propositions that we take to be (simultaneously) true.
>
> BTW, we are not distinguishing here between the mental proposition (the
> "meaning") and its expression, but that seems to be a big issue to other
> contributors.  That is, they see a 'sentence' as a particular form of
> expression, which is, for example, distinct from a table of values.  In
> John's example, a telephone directory is not a collection of grammatical
> sentences, but the meaning of each entry in the directory is a
> proposition/datum.  So we really have to be careful how we use these words.
>
> In my view, a table for which you don't know how to interpret a row is
> not 'data'; it is just an image.  It might as well be a JPEG of a
> drawing.  One might say that it is 'data' in the sense that the
> interpretation is "In row 3, column B is 5", but then that is a sentence.
>
> -Ed
>
> On 1/11/2013 10:35 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> <snip>
>> So building on the above, a Sentence is a Datum.  Likewise, a Paragraph
>> is Data.
>> The paragraph above expressed in Turtle notation as:
>>
>> <#Sentence> <#sameAs> <#Datum> .
>> <#Paragraph> <#sameAs> <#Data> .
>>
>> Or with more specificity:
>>
>> <#Proposition> <#kindOf> <#Sentence> .
>> <#Statement> <#kindOf> <#Sentence> .
>> <#Proposition> <#sameAs> <#Statement> .
>> <#Proposition> <#sameAs> <#Datum> .
>> <#Statement> <#sameAs> <#Datum> .
>> <#Paragraph> <#sameAs> <#Data> .

Ed,    (01)

Are we still okay re. the additions to above that follow?    (02)

## Additions -- still in Turtle Notation ##    (03)

<#Sentence> <#hasContainer> <#Paragraph> .
<#Word> <#hasContainer> <#Sentence> .
<#Subject> <#partOf> <#Sentence> .
<#Subject> <#Altlabel> "Entity" .
<#Predicate> <#partOf> <#Sentence> .
<#Predicate> <#Altlabel> "Attribute" .
<#Predicate> <#sameAs> <#Verb> .
<#Object> <#partOf> <#Sentence> .
<#Object> <#Altlabel> "Value" .
<#Paragraph> <#hasContainer> <#Page> .
<#Page> <#hasContainer> <#Chapter> .
<#Page> <#kindOf> <#Document> .
<#Page> <#hasContainer> <#Book> .
<#Index> <#partOf> <#Book> .
<#Index> <#references> <#Page> .
<#Index> <#references> <#Topic>.
<#Subject> <#kindOf> <#Topic> .
<#Predicate> <#kindOf> <#Topic> .
<#Object> <#kindOf> <#Topic> .
<#Glossary> <#partOf> <#Book> .
<#Chapter> <#partOf> <#Book> .
<#Book> <#sameAs> <#Database> .    (04)

## Some Predicate Definitions    (05)

<#hasContainer>
<#type> <#transitivePredicate> ;
<#equivalentPredicate> <#partOf> ;
<#domain> <#Word>, <#Sentence>, <#Paragraph>, <#Page>, <#Chapter>, <#Book> ;
<#range> <#Sentence>, <#Paragraph>, <#Page>, <#Chapter>, <#Book> .    (06)

<#kindOf>
<#type> <#transitivePredicate> .    (07)

Regards,    (09)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software