Re: [ontolog-forum] [External] Re: What is Data? What is a Datum? 2013-0

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Burkett, William [USA]" <burkett_william@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 18:00:16 +0000
Thanks for the considered response, Doug.  I appreciate that wb:Data differs
from of:Data, but I must confess that I don't "get" what of:Data is, then.   My
guess is its roughly the same as what I'd call "information", i.e., the parcel
of meaning interpreted from data or intentionally articulated as data.    (01)

> This is a novel property of the term.      (02)

I was very surprised that you considered physical-ness a "novel" property of
data - in my everyday use of "data" it seems to be an essential property.     (03)

>>  Maybe.  Words on a page are data;    (04)

>These are physical objects -- as are folds, coffee stains, and dust on the
>page.    (05)

But there is a big and significant difference between the words and the
folds/stains/dust.  The words were intentionally put on the page to represent
some meaning/information.  The folds and stains may be intentionally put there
and may convey some meaning (e.g., an author/reader spilled his coffee perhaps
because he was excited by the words he read :-)), but it's different than the
words.  The difference is intentionally and a language grammar.    (06)

>> In this forum, the "data" we're usually interested in are the
>> sequences and chunks of bits in computing systems.    (07)

>Another forum may be interested in sequences of bits.  The Ontology Forum has
>shown no such interest, so far as i can tell.      (08)

This is another statement that really surprised me.  As far as I can tell, most
of the participants in this forum are computer scientists and if they're not
ultimately interested in chunk/sequences of bits and how they're processed then
they are not really practicing their discipline.  If this is a philosophy
forum, then that is a different matter altogether - yes, sequences of bits have
no relevance to such discussions.   The logical grounding of ontology languages
like OWL is, IMO and understanding, entirely for the purpose of automated
computer processing (e.g., reasoning).   You can abstract it away to
mathematics or philosophy, but I would then submit that you're also abstracting
it away from the practical applications I think we're all interested in.     (09)

>If it is useful for the Ontology Forum to discuss wb:Data, i would suggest
>using a different term.  Are you referring to physical symbols?    (010)

Yes and only.    (011)

Bill     (012)

William C. Burkett   Associate    (014)

Booz | Allen | Hamilton     (015)

121 S Tejon St # 900 | Suite 900 South Tower | Colorado Springs, CO, 80903    (016)

T: 719-387-6452 | M: 310-318-5500 | F: 719-387-2020    (017)

burkett_william@xxxxxxx    (018)