Re: [ontolog-forum] [External] Re: What is Data? What is a Datum? 2013-0

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 18:49:48 -0500

Bill Burkett wrote:
>>>   Maybe.  Words on a page are data;    (01)

Doug Foxvog replied:

>> These are physical objects -- as are folds, coffee stains, and dust on the
>page.    (02)

Bill again:
> But there is a big and significant difference between the words and the
>folds/stains/dust.  The words were intentionally put on the page to represent
>some meaning/information.  The folds and stains may be intentionally put there
>and may convey some meaning (e.g., an author/reader spilled his coffee perhaps
>because he was excited by the words he read :-)), but it's different than the
>words.  The difference is intentionally and a language grammar.    (03)

It is not sufficient that those marks have an interpretation.  If the
writing on the page is in Mayan, it is not "data" for you; it is just
marks.  Those marks are only data when you can read them. Reading is the
mental transformation from marks to meaning.    (04)

Dan Gillman described "data" as the binding between marks and concepts.
But what he really meant is that "data" is the marks seen as the
representation of a particular meaning.  Put another way, Dan's
definition of "data" is the role of the mark/sign in an instance of
'concept is represented by sign'.  And I think that is really what Bill
means.    (05)

The big difference in our viewpoints is this:  I see data as the
information that is represented by the marks, and you see data as the
marks that convey information.  We label different roles in the same
relationship as "data", but we both demand that the relationship exists
in the eye of the reader.    (06)

I justify my choice by saying that a given datum (meaning) can have more
than one representation, can be conveyed by more than one kind of mark.
Your model says that "1" and "one" are different data, because the marks
are clearly different.  And I simply don't find that distinction
semantically useful.    (07)

But computationally, "reading" those two marks requires different
technical processes.  That is why I said to Dan that his model is a
computational model.    (08)

-Ed    (09)

P.S.  Peirce's term "mark" is not so commonly used in the semiotics
literature I am familiar with.  Rather the term "sign", borrowed from
some translation of Frege's "Zeichen", is commonly used.  I hope we can
agree that the terms are synonyms.    (010)

>>> In this forum, the "data" we're usually interested in are the
>>> sequences and chunks of bits in computing systems.
>> Another forum may be interested in sequences of bits.  The Ontology Forum
>has shown no such interest, so far as i can tell.
> This is another statement that really surprised me.  As far as I can tell,
>most of the participants in this forum are computer scientists and if they're
>not ultimately interested in chunk/sequences of bits and how they're processed
>then they are not really practicing their discipline.  If this is a philosophy
>forum, then that is a different matter altogether - yes, sequences of bits
>have no relevance to such discussions.   The logical grounding of ontology
>languages like OWL is, IMO and understanding, entirely for the purpose of
>automated computer processing (e.g., reasoning).   You can abstract it away to
>mathematics or philosophy, but I would then submit that you're also
>abstracting it away from the practical applications I think we're all
>interested in.
>
>> If it is useful for the Ontology Forum to discuss wb:Data, i would suggest
>using a different term.  Are you referring to physical symbols?
> Yes and only.
>
> Bill

> William C. Burkett   Associate
>
> Booz | Allen | Hamilton
>
> 121 S Tejon St # 900 | Suite 900 South Tower | Colorado Springs, CO, 80903
>
> T: 719-387-6452 | M: 310-318-5500 | F: 719-387-2020
>
> burkett_william@xxxxxxx

Systems Integration Division, Engineering Laboratory
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                Cel: +1 240-672-5800    (012)

  and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (013)