Re: [ontolog-forum] [External] Re: What is Data? What is a Datum? 2013-0

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:04:25 -0500
On 1/11/2013 1:20 PM, Burkett, William [USA] wrote:
> So, IM-ever-so-HO, terms like "knowledge representation"/"ontology"
> and "reasoning" are just high-falutin' names for "carefully constructed
> data models" and "clever data processing", respectively.    (01)

I make careful distinctions in the technical terms that are used in
talking about a particular formalism (or collection of formalisms,
such as various logics or various programming languages).    (02)

But broader terms are always vague, and they change with every update
and innovation in the technology.  For example, this forum is devoted
to ontology.  But I doubt that any two of the active participants could
agree on a precise definition of the word 'ontology'.    (03)

For example, the widely quoted "formalization of a conceptualization"
defines the term 'ontology' in words that are less precise and much
more confused and confusing.  The best that can be said for that
phrase is that it rhymes.    (04)

The terms 'data model' and 'data processing' are just as vague or
worse.  Their only advantage is that they're so old that nobody
today would use them as buzz words to hype their products.    (05)