Re: [ontolog-forum] [External] Re: What is Data? What is a Datum? 2013-0

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Sjir Nijssen <Sjir.Nijssen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 20:23:09 +0000

John,

+1

I believe the term Conceptual Schema (Complete truely Conceptual Data Model) as introduced in ISO TR9007 is quite precise.

If your statement:

But I doubt that any two of the active participants could agree on a precise definition of the word 'ontology'.

is true, then I  recommend to this forum to give priority to a better set of definitions of ontology, concentrating on convincing illustrations, without any highfalutin. I believe that more than one definition is necessary to cover the various concepts referred to by ontology in this forum.

A good theory and engineering practice can only be built on a much more precise definition than used sofar.

Regards

Sjir Nijssen

Chief Technical Officer

PNA Group