Re: [ontolog-forum] What is Data? What is a Datum? 2013-01-09-0930

To: Adrian Walker <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Edward Barkmeyer <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 15:49:55 -0500
On 1/10/2013 2:50 PM, Adrian Walker wrote:
Hi All,

John Sowa:
.  Each pair becomes a proposition
> when the instances are inserted in an appropriate schema:
>
>      "The person named _________ has the telephone number ________."

Ed BArkmeyer I disagree.  That is, the meaning of each pair in the telephone directory is a proposition of that form, and the pair is a datum. It is not necessary to express the sentence per se.

I'm reminded of Bill Kent's famous comment that sank the proposed sentence-free "universal relation" :

     person has horse, horse has birthday, therefore person has birthday

In a deductive context, surely you need the sentence to avoid that kind of wrong inference?

"In a deductive context", in which propositions are formally represented, of course you do.  What I said is only that +1-301-975-3528 of itself is not a datum.  The datum is the interpretation that +1-301-975-3528 is someone's telephone number.  The appearance of that number in a telephone directory conveys that interpretation without the English, Turtle, or CLIF sentence.  In your "deductive context", you probably need the Turtle or CLIF sentence.

-Ed

Note that RDF typing allows horse=horse in the above, so it alone won't keep us safe.

                             Cheers,  -- Adrian

Internet Business Logic
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English Q/A over SQL and RDF
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
Shared use is free, and there are no advertisements

Adrian Walker
Reengineering

Systems Integration Division, Engineering Laboratory
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                Cel: +1 240-672-5800

 and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."