Re: [ontolog-forum] Conceptual objects (WAS: NULLs and 3+1 vs. 4D ontolo

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 12:50:53 -0500
On Wed, January 30, 2013 09:14, Matthew West wrote:
>> > doug foxvog wrote:
>> > <snip>

>> > MW: Sets may be timeless, but all their members can be restricted in
>> > the time they are created.... So I think the set of similar
>> > but separate concepts in different brains is the closest to reality
>> > you are going to get.    (03)

>> You are saying that your method is unable to describe something like the
>> fictional character, Sherlock Holmes.  For ontologists who find it
>> useful to model such things (let's call them "conceptual works"),
>> another method is needed.    (04)

> MW: Not at all. Sherlock Holmes is a person in one or more possible
> worlds, so I have no trouble modelling him.
> The problem I see is that you are trying
> to conflate Sherlock Holmes with writings about him.    (05)

?? I am distinguishing them plus describing the interrelationships.    (06)

In "our world" Sherlock Holmes is a fictional character.  A fictional
character is a conceptual work that has a relationship to fictional
contexts (described in fictional works) and a "real" being in those
specific contexts.  The fictional character is described in one or more
conceptual works that describe the fictional contexts.    (07)

<snip>
>> df:  I don't know what the utility
>> is of modeling the character as a set would be.    (09)

> MW: I would not model Sherlock Holmes as a set, but what is common
> to the different copies of a book is not Sherlock Holmes.
> Sherlock Holmes is one of the things they represent.    (010)

How would you model Sherlock Holmes in our world?  I am referring to the
thing created by Arthur Conan Doyle.  ... the thing that was the
objectCreated in a creation event, and thus has a starting date.    (011)

<snip>
>> df:  I prefer the
>> term "conceptual work", with a meaning that Cyc names
> #$DevisedPracticeOrWork.    (012)

> MW: That would be the book content, not the character. The character is
> represented by the conceptual work.    (013)

The book is one conceptual work, the characters in the book are parts
of the book, but also are conceptual works, which can be included in
further conceptual works.    (014)

ACD wrote a number of different stories (separate conceptual works),
each of which included Sherlock Holmes.  The Sherlock Holmes in
those works was not (in the context of those works) a fictional
character, but in our world, is.    (015)

Regards,
-- doug foxvog    (016)