Re: [ontolog-forum] NULLs and 3+1 vs. 4D ontologies (was Re: Knowledge g

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 22:09:39 +0000

Simon,

Personally, I would demarcate the real (and its possible worlds) from the fictional worlds (and their links back and forth to the real world), especially since the latter are known to be fictional worlds.

I suggest that we “parenthesize” fictional worlds, even though they have many links back to the real worlds (and the real worlds have many links into those fictional worlds). Fiction (and similar “parenthesized” worlds) can be often considered object worlds under our real (to them) meta-world.

In fiction, one has an author, a narrator, often multiple narrators, characters in the base story, but also (as you know) meta-narrators and meta-characters. If modernism and post-modernism has taught us anything, it’s that there are always “levels”. I like John Barth, e.g., because he pushes the multiple levels into the same narrative level. That’s just me.

Thanks,

Leo