Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: Ontologies and individuals

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <partridge.csj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 08:56:42 -0000
Hi Pat,    (01)

I know you have an irrational aversion to these topics.
>From an IT system building perspective, one needs some kind of structure to
organise the information in the system (an architecture) - so the Pat
'approach' of not having one is hardly practical, unless all you are
designing is a spreadsheet.
My and, I'm guessing, Matthew's experience is that these kinds of structures
are a useful practical device when dealing with large systems.
As you well know, they have also been studied for quite some time, and rest
on arguments more than intuitions.     (02)

If you want to make some suggestion about the use of the term 'individual',
I wish you well in defending it, but I won't be holding my breath.
If you are suggesting that the terms we are using "cannot be described or
named " maybe you should re-read the literature.    (03)

Chris    (04)