Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: Ontologies and individuals

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 22:57:15 -0500
On 12/18/2012 10:37 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
> My objection is to the very idea that these questions are in
> any sense "foundational". They are indeed obscure, hard to decide,
> and rest upon very fragile intuitions. But they are not foundational
> in the sense that anything important rests upon them or depends on
> getting them right. They are, in fact, almost completely irrelevant
> to any matter of concern to practical ontology design, and can
> (and should) be ignored, unless one has far too much time to waste.    (01)

I completely agree.  I have been trying to say that in several
different ways, but the point just doesn't get across.    (02)

> It is not an architectural decision at all: more like a decision
> about what color smoke to blow up the chimney.    (03)

Actually, I would claim that the smoke question is more significant
because it has some observable effects in the real world.    (04)

> Here is one way to decide the matter: anything that can be described
> or referred to is, ipso facto, an individual. And of things that cannot
> be described or named, we must be silent.    (05)

If you want to say that formally, you can add the following axiom
to your ontology:    (06)

    (Ax)isIndividual(x).    (07)

Since this axiom is trivially true of everything in the ontology,
it is totally useless.  But it has the advantage of making its lack
of utility completely formal -- if anyone cares about such things.    (08)