Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: Christopher Menzel <chris.menzel@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 20:54:00 -0500

On Jul 25, 2012, at 3:53 PM, Christopher Menzel wrote:    (01)

> I wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 6:25 AM, John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The backquote in LISP can be applied to any expression.  The IKL
>> 'that' operator can be implemented in LISP by applying backquote
>> to sentences in some version of logic.
>>
>> That is probably right.
>
> But Pat wrote:
>
>> Sorry, can't let that go by. No, it can't be implemented in LISP, in this or
>any other way.
>
> I appear to contradict Pat here, but all that I mean is that, given syntactic
>similarities between LISP backquote and the IKL "that" operator, you could
>probably use backquote to simulate a reasonably significant swath of the
>intended logical behavior of the IKL operator. I don't off the top of my head
>see what that wouldn't be so, but I would defer to Pat's superior knowledge of
>LISP on this point.    (02)

Thinking about this more, the IKL 'that' is like backquote followed by
normalization (to make sure eg that (that (and A B)) and (that (B and A)) are
the same, etc.) followed, crucially, by a model-theortic interpretation step
(which is where LISP never goes) followed by a check to make sure that you have
a sentence. Or something like that. So, OK, backquote is kind of in there
somewhere.     (03)

The reason I jumped on this was to avoid giving anyone even the ghost of an
impression that IKL "that" operator is any kind of logical quotation at all,
back or otherwise. This is a surprisingly stubborn misapprehension which we
spent a lot of energy trying to eradicate in the IKRIS project, and I don't
want to ever get into that tarpit again.     (04)

Pat    (05)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)