Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 17:13:49 +0100
Dear Doug,    (01)

> > The PresidentOfIreleand and the KingOfNorway are individuals that at
> > different times are co-extensional with states of different people.
>
> By "state of a person" do you mean temporal slice of that person's
space-time
> worm?    (02)

MW: You could use those words, but I would just say a temporal part of the
person.

> I emphasized "individuals" to eliminate predicates.  I also wanted to
exclude
> that these were roles.  I would want answers to questions such as
>    (PresidentOfIreland givenName ?NAME)
>
>    (KingOfNorway ageInYears ?NUMBER)
>
>    (and
>      (KingOfNorway parentOf ?PRINCESS)
>      (?PRINCESS givenName ?PNAME))
>
> Would modeling these terms as states of a person allow the correct answers
> be given for such queries that were correctly temporally constrained?    (03)

MW: Of course, because at the time specified the KingOfNorway would be
coincident with a particular person. You would have to be clear of course
that you were not asking for the name of the KingOfNorway (presumably "The
King of Norway") but the person playing the social role, but that is no
great trick.    (04)

Regards    (05)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 1489 880185
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (06)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (07)