Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 01:03:01 -0500
(Sorry Ive been off-email for a while.)    (01)

On Jul 11, 2012, at 3:16 PM, John F Sowa wrote:    (02)

> On 7/11/2012 3:13 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
>> They are not context *logics*. There is no provision in CL
>> for the referent of any name to vary with contexts.
>
> What?!?!?!?
>
> Where did you get requirement?    (03)

Not sure I understand your question here. What I said is simply true of CL and
IKL, as is obvious from their semantic rules.     (04)

> For example, many logicians recommend that proper names in
> natural languages be mapped to monadic relations in logic
> rather than individual constants.
>
> The name Aristotle, for example, would be true of the ancient
> philosopher, and it would also be true of the second husband
> of Jackie Bouvier.
>
> If you want a theory in which names can vary with contexts,
> then you can map each name in any NL to a dyadic relation
> instead of a monadic relation.  The relation Aristotle(X,c),
> for example, would be true iff the individual X had the
> word 'Aristotle' as name in context c.    (05)

Not quite. You have to associate the name (not the individual) with the
context. In IKL you can treat a character string as a function, which handles
this very nicely. We did this for the IKRIS project mappings, you may recall.
There is an extended example involving Lacrosse in
http://www.slideshare.net/PatHayes/ikl-survey (slides 21- 23) showing how
elegantly it works. [For readers who think that the axioms shown there seem
complicated, I invite you to try to formalize this example using any other
notation of your choice.]    (06)

But notice, none of this changes what names themselves refer to. ('Aristotle'
c) refers to whatever the strong "Aristotle" refers to in context c, but that
does not change what the actual name Aristotle refers to. IKL is a
referentially transparent language throughout.     (07)

>> One could of course do whatever one chooses, but if the context
>> is supposed to modify or help determine what URIs refer to, then
>> treating a graph as such a context is explicitly prohibited by
>> the RDF specification documents. So this would not be legal,
>> conformant, RDF.
>
> The conventions of RDF, OWL, and URIs are totally independent
> of this discussion.    (08)

The comment you cited here was made in response to a claim by Doug Foxvog, that
an RDF graph could be considered to be a context, which is why I referred to
RDF.     (09)

>  Any theory of contexts proposed by any
> philosopher or linguist could be mapped to IKL in one way or
> another.    (010)

Maybe. IKL seems to be one of the most expressive first-order languages I have
ever seen, but I wouldn't make such a large claim about it without some
evidence.     (011)

> But the notations of RDF and OWL are far less expressive.  I couldn't
> imagine anyone using them to reason about context logic.    (012)

I could :-) . In fact I have explicitly suggested modifying RDF as a context
logic to the RDF WG, but I don't hold out a great deal of hope that they will
be willing to go along with the idea.    (013)

Pat    (014)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (016)