Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 17:20:18 -0400
On 7/14/2012 4:17 PM, Obrst, Leo J. wrote:
> on a lark I took your second sentence:
>
>   Indeed, both sides have an interest in channeling their rivalry
>   into trade more than weaponry, even as China sees itself as
>   increasingly having the upper hand in the region.
>
> and pasted it into FRED ( http://wit.istc.cnr.it/stlab-tools/fred/ ),
> which was just released this week    (01)

Thanks for the example.  I'm pleasantly surprised that it was able
to do that well.  It illustrates the point that NLP parsing technology
is not bad, even with an ontology that is not adequate for the domain.    (02)

But there are huge gaps in the interpretation of what the words refer to
(e.g., China is a place, but by metonomy the intended meaning is the
Chinese government).  And it makes no attempt to analyze the metaphor
of channeling an abstraction like rivalry into some kind of process
(trade) or something physical (weaponry).  And good luck in trying
to interpret the comparative 'more than' that relates them.    (03)

By the way, I responded to Chris's complaint by numbering the slides
in the lower right corner.  I also deleted a duplicate slide.  That
causes the final section to start at Slide 51:    (04)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/dynolang.pdf    (05)