Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 21:16:48 -0400
On 7/23/2012 6:22 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
> IKL is CL with the addition of a construct (that <sentence>) which allows
> the formalism to refer to propositions. GIven that, you can then introduce
> an *ontology*  of things someone might want to call 'contexts' and say that
> propositions (not sentences) are true or false in them. That was largely
> the point of inventing IKL in the first place, in fact. But still IKL
> is not a context *logic*.    (01)

I agree with that point.    (02)

PH
> All I said was that CL and IKL are not context logics. You can axiomatize
> a theory of contexts in them, as you please. I recommend IKL as it has
> the expressiveness to encode content from just about any context logic
> (and in many cases, to do a better job, IMO.)    (03)

The last time I spoke with John McCarthy was in 2006, during the time of
the IKRIS project.  We had a short, informal meeting at Stanford about
contexts and the IKRIS project.  It included John, his student Selene
Makarios (who was working on a theory of contexts), and Mike Genesereth.    (04)

John had been working on a context theory since the 1980s, and he had
several students who developed versions.  Guha was one of the first,
with his PhD dissertation in 1991, which was also published as a Cyc
technical report.    (05)

At the end of the meeting, John explicitly said that it would be
premature to standardize on any theory of context that had been
proposed up to that point.    (06)

I agree with him.  But I believe that something like the 'that'
operator is a prerequisite.  There are many different ways of
axiomatizing how you would use the 'that' operator to support
a theory of context.    (07)