Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 11:44:51 -0500

On Jul 25, 2012, at 6:44 AM, John Bottoms wrote:    (01)

> On 7/25/2012 7:25 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
>> On 7/25/2012 12:45 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>
>>> JMcC's point was that there was no single "theory" of contexts; that
>>> contexts are not a natural kind, and a "context" is just anything
>>> that anyone cares to use in a context kind of a way, ie as something
>>> that influences truth values and denotations.
>>>
> It almost sounds like there are two definitions of "context".     (02)

Two? TWO??? I attended several workshops and meetings on the theme of contexts
and context reasoning. At one of them I took careful notes. Over three days of
talks, no two speakers used the same sense of "context". They were all talking
about different things, ranging in scope from a psychological state lasting a
few miiliseconds to an entire human culture lasting millennia. When people say
"context" they simply mean "all the stuff that I havn't got an explicit theory
of".  I have in fact offered this as a definition of "context" at the
Heidelberg ontology meeting (which John Sowa was also present at):     (03)