Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Avril Styrman" <Avril.Styrman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 22:13:39 +0300
Lainaus "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx>:    (01)

>> can you cite any article that talks about contexts in terms of sets
>> with different ranks?
>
> Not sure what you mean by 'rank' here. Do you mean as in set theory
> where the rank of an ordinal is the ordinal? If so, I don't know how
> to interpret that in context language, but it sounds intriguing.    (02)

Yes, I meant the level of granularity of sets by rank. For instance,
in KPU and ZFU which incorporate ur-elements a,b,c,... the rank of {a}
is 1 and the rank of {{a}} is 2. In mereology all parts are parts of
the same level, but while a is member of {a}, it is not member of
{{a}}. This way, set theories could function as a foundation of
granularity and context, at least in classifying stuff. Can you cite
any articles that discuss this?    (03)

Avril    (04)