Re: [ontolog-forum] Truth

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 20:17:40 +0000

John, on a lark I took your second sentence:

    Indeed, both sides have an interest in channeling their rivalry

    into trade more than weaponry, even as China sees itself as

    increasingly having the upper hand in the region.

and pasted it into FRED (http://wit.istc.cnr.it/stlab-tools/fred/), which was just released this week, posted by valentina presutti <valentina.presutti@xxxxxxxxxxx> to the Semantic Web and Linked Data lists. [The first sentence threw an error.] You can output in a graph visualization (or n-triples, which are hairy). Switching to html, here is the output. If the picture below gets clobbered, try it yourself.

It’s actually not too bad an analysis, for arbitrary text, though of course detail is missing.  Much chunking occurs.

Previously, I gave it “The man in the hat in the corner is Fred. He wants to go to the store to buy the woman next to him a gift.”

It doesn’t seem to know about quantifiers, however.

The underlying C&C and BOXER tools (http://svn.ask.it.usyd.edu.au/trac/candc;  http://svn.ask.it.usyd.edu.au/trac/candc/wiki/boxer) claims to use Combinatory Categorial Grammar and output logical form in Discourse Representation Theory. I haven’t tried these directly yet.

Thanks,

Leo