Re: [ontolog-forum] metaphysis, semantics and the research program of on

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:47:29 -0700

Dear John,

You wrote:

On 3/30/2012 9:31 PM, Rich Cooper wrote:

> IMHO, the best general notation is conversational English.

That is, in fact, one of the versions of logic that I strongly

recommend:  controlled natural languages.  If you can read conversational English, you can read controlled English.

But controlled English is just as much a version of logic

as predicate calculus.

John

Agreed.  But controlled English is the kind of logic that people have been using all their lives.  The one additional capability needed with controlled English is an extensible vocabulary.  Adrian Walker’s English is a great start.  But there are bad controlled English programs – in particular I remember ROSIE which ran on lisp machines like the Xerox Dolphin.  It was only marginally better than typing logic because the vocabulary was so limited and specialized for the parser.

The ideal controlled English would be nearly indistinguishable from everyday English like we all use all day.  Just enough disambiguation to be processed into executable form, IMHO, is what is needed.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com