ontolog-forum
[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [ontolog-forum] metaphysis, semantics and the research program of on

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 19:42:44 -0700
Message-id: <621F61430F1F42119047F49E4A731E45@Gateway>

Dear Marcelino,

You wrote:

The paper present a contrast between two main views within the research program in ontologies:

- Realist view: the ontology is build upon universals in reality rather than concepts. A good ontology is one which corresponds to reality as it exists beyond our concepts.

- Conceptualist view: the ontology is a explicit specification of a conceptualization. A good ontology is one which captures our shared conceptualization.

I think the difference between the two communities (Realists, Conceptualists) is due to the perceived potential usefulness that is required, the when and the where, of the said ontology.  Those who seek to implement must be realists at the time and on cost and within schedule of whatever stressor has said realist at the moment. 

So the Realist, where also an implementer Realist, reflects a practical consistent way to view by realist motivated people when said people start thinking about implementing some project. 

The Conceptualist must not have such consumer level interfacing; a conceptualist is probably funded by any underspecified deliverable within cost and schedule.  The conceptualist also has pressures and environments that drive said conceptualist just as hard, but highly likely in some other direction of motivation, without ruling out the occasional implementer. 

To me at least, that metaphor of the subjective realist with the objective conceptualist, both have parts in each our makeup(s).  By that I mean you and I and we and me all have both Realist and Conceptualist in some proportion.  It seems an environmentally likely event. 

Both skills are certainly needed, specifically at the genetic pod level, where individuals more or less cooperate. Aggregation of biological cells into films, organs, creatures and crowds are evolutionary steps forward to social animals.  Presumably we are among them. 

How has that worked out for us so far?

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

From: ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Marcelino Sente
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:16 AM
To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] metaphysis,semantics and the research program of ontologies

In this paper, the author discuss some aspects raised by this topic and present a "cognitivist ontology".

The paper present a contrast between two main views within the research program in ontologies:

- Realist view: the ontology is build upon universals in reality rather than concepts. A good ontology is one which corresponds to reality as it exists beyond our concepts.

- Conceptualist view: the ontology is a explicit specification of a conceptualization. A good ontology is one which captures our shared conceptualization.

I would like to know the position of the members of this forum about this aspects.

Thanks

2012/3/16 Marcelino Sente <zaratruta@xxxxxxxxx>

Let consider this assertion (refered as A1):
“It should be emphasized that we are talking about  a perceived world and not a metaphysical world without a knower” (Rosch 1978, p.29)

How this assertion impacts on the research program of ontologies?

Some initiatives regarding conceptual modeling, systems interoperability, and conceptual analysis have been using of theories coming from the domain of formal ontology. I say "formal ontology", in the sense of Husserl, as analogous to formal logic. Whilst formal logic deals with formal logical structures (e.g.,truth, validity, consistency) independently of their veracity, formal ontology deals with formal ontological structures (e.g., theory of parthood, types and instantiation, identity, dependence, unity), i.e., with formal aspects of entities irrespective of their particular nature. Some (so called) foundational ontologies (as UFO - unified foundational ontology) embody several conceptions coming from the "formal ontology". So...What A1 say about the use of conceptions imported from "formal ontology" to the territory of semantic web, communication among computer and humans and systems interoperability?

How can we view and compare the contributions related to the realist semantics and cognitive semantics, regarding our objetives expressed above (semantic web, communication among computer and humans and systems interoperability)? Does make sense think in terms of cognitive semantics in the reserach program of ontologies?

Reference:
E. Rosch (1978) Principles of Categorization. in: E. Rosch and B. Lloyd (Eds.),  Cognition and Categorization. pp. 27-48, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, New Jersey.

Shared Files: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/
Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/ 
To join: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid1J    (01)

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>