Re: [ontolog-forum] metaphysis, semantics and the research program of on

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Hans Polzer" <hpolzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 21:53:03 -0400
Rich, John:    (01)

Another thing to keep in mind is that conceptual reality includes things
like countries and corporations and driver's licenses. It's not just about
representing concepts in logic - it's about representing the reality that
human society has created around these concepts. Society hasn't just created
the concept of a corporation - it has created millions of actual
corporations - not detectable in physical reality other than through
surrogates (i.e., the IBM corporation is NOT the building in Armonk -which
could be sold tomorrow - or any of its myriad other physical possessions).
How does one detect and represent such conceptual realities in "cyberspace"?
Where is most of your money in physical reality? Not in your mattress, I
suspect, nor in gold bars or other physically detectable manifestations.
Heck, most people don't even get stock certificates anymore. How do we
represent the conceptual reality of your money in cyberspace? Or the Prime
Meridian? You won't see in in satellite photographs of the Earth or pick it
up on radar. But we sure behave as if it were there and it most definitely
used by Google Maps and Google Earth, among many many other systems. So
where do we go in cyberspace to access these conceptual realities? What are
the "authoritative" sources for these various realities if we can't rely on
our own senses, or radars, temperature sensors, or other physical reality
sensors to obtain this information about our environment ourselves. And what
biases are introduced by the sources we select? Will some corporations
"disappear" from some of our sources because "Anonymous" has some run in
with them? Or because some religious group doesn't like them? Social reality
is created by the particular social context and scope we select as the
primary source of information about conceptual reality, this forum being a
case in point.    (02)

Hans