Re: [ontolog-forum] metaphysis, semantics and the research program of on

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:43:04 -0700

Hans, you wrote:

The bottom line is to be prepared to deal with a multiplicity of categorization schemes, or at least recognize that others are possible, even if for economic and self interest/perspective reasons one might only support one particular categorization or just a few alternate categorization schemes.

I agree.  My approach in the 7,209,923 had an example embodiment where IDEF0 charts were used to model objects, properties, actions, specifications, regulations, and all the usual minutiae of a domain complex enough to have domains within it.  So I used the IDEF0 example, with its well known ICOMs, as a graphical or textual representation of the semantics to be defined by specific IDEF0 models to be constructed, or loaded from libraries, by modeling users.

One advantage to that approach is that so many engineers and MBAs are trained on how to use and interpret IDEF0 models.  Another is that they have well known transformations into Petri nets for toolware, projections into schedules and progress charts, and all the usual minutiae of project management.

A third advantage is that context diagrams can be used as signatures to an index of object bindings, all to be interpreted by the terminal objects and activities, which are actions that can be directly interpreted.

I added a fourth advantage in that a plurality of decompositions can be mapped into one context diagram.  That way, a complete And/Or graph is appropriate, and in one implementation

I used a Not (“~”) operator to signal negation and when a Node became negated, its solvability markings were changed to “unsolvable”, and propagated through the encompassing solution subtree.

The result was an FOL system that had both solved (i.e. True) proof trees and solved (i.e. True) refutation trees.  Given that the usual environments we deal with are inconsistent, this approach is not the same as negation as failure (NAF).  Instead it is negation as logical evidence against, weighed against logical evidence for, the assertion or refutation as bound ultimately to its ground symbols, the terminal nodes.

Given that structure mapped directly into the metadata, and then associated with symbols via the IDEF0 models, any kind of categorization scheme appropriate to the top level domain’s decomposition into components, fits nicely into an And/Or search with true negation that can function in the typically inconsistent database.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com