Re: [ontolog-forum] metaphysis, semantics and the research program of on

To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: William Frank <williamf.frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 15:49:27 -0400

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:55 PM, doug foxvog <doug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, March 21, 2012 21:07, William Frank wrote:
> As we have also discussed separately, I think you make a nice and useful
> distincition here, but I do believe that these uses of the words
> "physical"
> and "conceptual" are different from the way the words were used in the
> founding subject for this thread, or in the article in question, or in the
> history and philosopy of science.  There, " a piece of land" is ***also**
> something that only can be percieved to exist by having conceptual glasses
> that let you see some directly observable pheonomia (sensations of colors
> and touch and sound), and turn these into a concrete "thing".

I agreed up until the word "concrete".

You are right, I agree only up to that word, too.  By using that meaningless-in-this context word "concrete", I hoisted myself by my own petard.

I was trying to say, "let's get the amateur metaphysics out of ontology as a branch of computer science: at least read the cliff notes on Kant, Wittgenstein, or read  Popper, Mario Bunge, Lakoff, etc. before you start out on your own".   But then I dropped in some of my own thoughtless wording right there.  And, at the same time, Amanda Vizedom summarized a practical, common sense set of assertions that I thought let us move on, and several others said similarly sensible things.

I love what these geniuses say about metaphysics and epistomology in the last century or so, and they helped me see that I personally wanted to stay away from unanswerable questions.  I can't seem to help expressing my own weak understanding of this to others. But, I would rather not belabor matters outside my own areas of expertise on a public forum.  So, after I read what everyone else said, I thought I was off the hook.

But I can't help but want to talk about such matters, with anyone who wants to.   I just don't see it as something I am successful at adding to the word's clarity of knowledge about, especially using email as the medium. As you just showed, this is an area in which one must be *very* careful in choices of words, while most people, especially me,  neither write nor read emails carefully enough, and there is always the temptation to  to veer the thread off in the direction of one's own pet subjects.  Then, a reader finds a red herring in a miswording or misunderstanding to follow instead of the point of the thread, and the first sometimes says: "I GUESS YOU MUST HAVE NOT BOTHERED TO READ MY MAIL!!!".  Doesn't ever look like fun to me.

So, I will respond to the rest of your message privately, and we can continue thus, if you wish.

Thanks,

Wm

ANYTHING can only be PERCEIVED to exist by having conceptual glasses
that let one OBSERVE some PHYSICAL PHENOMENA and then model it as a MENTAL
"thing".

This is a definition of perception.

Is a "piece of land" physical?  Since it has mass and a physical location,
one could conclude it is.

Is a "piece of land" a MENTAL concept?  In so far as its borders are not
defined by physical criteria (e.g. a cliff edge or concrete curb) it is.
Any given spot on a "piece of land" on earth is on googleplexes of
connected pieces of land as changing the border by a micron at any
location would define a different "piece of land".

What constitutes an OBJECT in the real world in many cases is a conceptual
definition.  When is a brick that starts flaking no longer the "same"
brick?
Some things in the natural world tend to act as individual objects, but
they can gain and loose pieces, and change shape and location.
Fundamental particles (electrons, quarks, ...) apparently can not gain or
loose parts and can be considered to be real-world OBJECTS irrespective of
conceptualization, but almost any other "physical object"  that is modeled
is in some sense a conceptual object, since its boundaries (temporal
and/or physical) are temporally defined.

> So, *everything* we see in any world we are in is part of a conceptual

If we see it and identify it, identification makes (our representation of) it
part of our conceptual framework.

> framework, whether that be one you categorize nicely as physical,
> "conceptual" (in your special meaning) or "social".  That is, mass and
> land are "physical"* concepts*,
> ownership and value are "conceptual" *concepts*,
> and valuation is a "social": *concept*.

Ownership, value, and valuation are all social concepts.

> All are concepts meaning 2, and
> also, all are based, in different ways, on exteranl  reality that must be
> **assumed** or taken to be "objective", as well as on how we classify the
> things in that reality.

The "external reality" of a social concept is a feature of an intangible
social reality.

>  Even though, as you say, all the  good words are
> already taken, I think that "conceptual reality", as separate from
> "physical reality"  is a misleading _expression_.

Why do you consider the distinction to be misleading?  "Physical reality"
applies to things that can [at least "conceptually" 8)# ] be measured by
physical devices.  "Conceptual reality" deals with interpretation.

Or course, what can be physically measured depends upon context.  In
various contexts, things beyond a certain (temporal or linear) scale would
be out of context and not part of that context's physical reality.  And,
of course, context is a conceptual, not physical concept -- although it may
be given a physical definition.

>  In fact, I find the physics of string theory to be alot more "conceptual"
> and less based in "reality" than
> following my freinds preferences on facebook.

The first is an issue of context, not physicality.  Preferences are by
definition conceptual.  Being part of a "conceptual reality" does not
make something less "real" -- just differentially real.

>  Further, if I
> think I see a peice of land, other people may show me that I am probably
> mistaken, if none of them see it.  So, social reality bleeds into the
> physical.

i wouldn't consider this "social reality".

-- doug foxvog

William Frank

413/376-8167