Re: [ontolog-forum] Terminology and Knowledge Engineering

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 11:03:20 -0800
Dear Michael and David,    (01)

When a URI references a "definition" of a term,
there is still a huge gap between whatever is
stored as the "definition" and what the average
person of skill in the art under discussion thinks
of as "meaning" so I think David's point about the
huge variability in interpretations is still
completely valid.      (02)

If I define a "shoe" to be a "brake part", there
will still be people who justifiably think it has
laces or rubber soles or is made by Nike.  Meaning
can't be so quickly disposed of by a quick
sentence hidden at an obscure URI.  I think this
use of a URI to encode definitions is a good one,
but let us not overemphasize it as a way to make
meanings clear or unambiguous.  It doesn’t
accomplish that, IMHO.      (03)

-Rich    (04)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper