Re: [ontolog-forum] Terminology and Knowledge Engineering

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 20:20:53 -0500
On 1/25/2012 2:17 PM, Christopher Menzel wrote:
> I would be more than happy to have anyone with reasonable expertise in
> logic weigh in on just how "cockeyed" my (utterly bland and standard)
> characterization of the theorem was.    (01)

I'll throw my 2 cents into Chris's pot.    (02)

I think his brief summary is very accurate.  There is, of course,
much more that could be and has been said about Gödel's work.
Many of the popular summaries, even when written by authors who
know the subject very well, are too brief or too nontechnical
to be clear.    (03)

Robinson arithmetic is rarely discussed in most summaries.
Chris chose to mention it because it is a short example that
that is easy to discuss precisely in an email note.  But that
doesn't make it cockeyed.    (04)