Re: [ontolog-forum] Terminology and Knowledge Engineering

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 20:30:49 +0100

Hello Rich,    (01)

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:03:20AM -0800, Rich Cooper wrote:
> When a URI references a "definition" of a term,
> there is still a huge gap between whatever is
> stored as the "definition" and what the average
> person of skill in the art under discussion thinks
> of as "meaning" so I think David's point about the
> huge variability in interpretations is still
> completely valid.    (02)

I never implied that the semantic web defines exact meaning. This
is impossible and not necessary. See:    (03)

http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/HayesSlides.pdf
http://www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin/homepage/publications/indefenseofambiguity.html    (04)

I agree with John that 'the overwhelming number of OWL "ontologies" published
on the WWW just take the informal info from a terminology, put angle brackets
around it, and call it an ontology' but I do not agree with him that you do
not get extra value out of this. The extra value lies in introducing the
informal term into a formalism where the context of every term is clear which
is not true of natural languages where one word can have several completely
different meanings depending on context.    (05)

Regards,    (06)

Michael Brunnbauer    (07)

--
++  Michael Brunnbauer