Re: [ontolog-forum] Terminology and Knowledge Engineering

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 16:00:42 +0100

Hello John,    (01)

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 09:37:20AM -0500, John F. Sowa wrote:
> I would also like to ask OWL advocates about those popular ontologies
> whose only "definitions" are English phrases marked as comments.  What,
> if anything, do they get from such an ontology that goes beyond what
> they could get from a well-written terminology?    (02)

I get self describing homonym-free terminology. Whenever I stumble over such
a term, I can get it's definition in one or several natural languages
automatically by dereferencing the term. I can also be sure that the
definition I get is the only and authoritative definition for this term.    (03)

If I am lucky, I may also get some restrictions or facts for the term but your
question excluded this case.    (04)

Regards,    (05)

Michael Brunnbauer    (06)

--