Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology and kantian propositions

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 23:32:51 -0400 (EDT)
> To relate that to ontology:
>
>   1. A statement (in logic or in a controlled natural language) is
>      logically true iff its truth follows from the logical operators
>      independently of the meaning of the terms in it.
>
>      Examples:  "For all x, P(x) implies P(x)."
>                 "Everything red is red."
>
>   2. A statement is analytically true iff its truth follows from
>      the meaning of the terms in it.
>
>      Ex:  "Everything red is colored."
>           "If a cat is on a mat, then an animal is on something."
>           "If Benedict is a bachelor, then Benedict is unmarried."
>
> Many people are trying to use ontology to define the background
> knowledge that would be sufficient to determine the analytically
> true statements about the terms in their domain of interest.
>
> However, many people (not just Quine) have observed that there
> are many problematical issues.  For example, Pope Benedict is
> unmarried, but most people would not call him a bachelor.    (01)

This does not follow from the above rules, so why should it be expected?
   RULE: bachelor(Benedict) => unmarried(Benedict)
   GIVEN: unmarried(Benedict)
does not imply
   ?: bachelor(Benedict)    (02)

> Since priests and other clergy in the Catholic Church take
> a vow of celibacy,    (03)

FWIW, celibacy applies to clergy in the Roman Catholic Church,
but not for clergy in other Catholic Churches of which the
Pope is head.  I met a pygmy in Africa who was a (non-Roman)
Catholic priest, who explained to me that since he was a priest
he was allowed only one wife.  The Russian Catholic Church also
permits priests to marry.    (04)

> that makes them ineligible to get married
> without breaking their vows.  Some do.  But if the Pope did,
> he would create a huge controversy.  (I wish he would.)    (05)

It seems that the rule for bachelorhood needs to be more complex than
such unmarried(X) & man(X) => bachelor(X) .    (06)

> Quine and others have pointed out that the number of such
> problematical issues    (07)

I'm not sure if your example is problematic, but prolbematic issues
do arise.    (08)

> is enormous for any significant body
> of knowledge.  That is an issue that makes many people
> (including me) highly skeptical about the goal of creating
> a single universal ontology that has detailed definitions
> and axioms for specifying all analytical truths.
>
> Instead, my recommendation is to use an underspecified
> collection of terms with very few axioms.  For detailed
> reasoning about specific problems, use those terms in an
> open-ended collection of small theories (microtheories),
> each of which is specialized for a narrow domain.    (09)

I agree.    (010)

-- doug f    (011)

> John

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (013)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.