Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology and kantian propositions

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 13:23:48 -0500
> 2. A statement is analytically true iff its truth follows from
>     the meaning of the terms in it.
>
>     Ex:  "Everything red is colored."
>          "If a cat is on a mat, then an animal is on something."
>          "If Benedict is a bachelor, then Benedict is unmarried."
>
> Many people are trying to use ontology to define the background
> knowledge that would be sufficient to determine the analytically
> true statements about the terms in their domain of interest.
>
> However, many people (not just Quine) have observed that there
> are many problematical issues.  For example, Pope Benedict is
> unmarried, but most people would not call him a bachelor.    (01)

Seems to me that that example only shows that there is more to the definition
of *bachelor* than "unmarried man" -- perhaps something like "unmarried man who
is not prevented from marrying by civil or religious law".  It doesn't show
that there is anything "problematic" about the notion of analyticity.    (02)

-chris    (03)