[ontolog-forum] Ontology and kantian propositions

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Marcelino Sente <zaratruta@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 13:16:49 -0300

Hi.

Kant has described two types of propositions in his philosophy: analytic and synthetic.

An analytic proposition is one in which the predicate is contained in the subject, as in the statement "No bachelor is married". The truth of this statement is evident, the concept is present and is found just by analyzing the terms granted without the need for rich experiences. This proposition is true whatever our experience, because the meaning of "not married" is already present in "Single."

In addition to the analytic proposition, Kant introduced the concept of synthetic proposition. A synthetic proposition can not be achieved through simple analysis: it requires experience. An example of this concept is evident in the phrase "the girl's blonde." To know if the girl is really blonde, you need an experience because it can not be sure of this statement without first seeing it.

My question is: Is there a connection between ontology, as we conceive, and Kant's analytic propositions?

The knowledge that is invariant over the different states of affairs (captured in ontologies) is not made of analytic propositions?

In addition, models that represent specific states of affairs, is not made of synthetic propositions?

Am I wrong? At what point?

Thanks.

PS: My english is terrible,unhappily...