Re: [ontolog-forum] Theory of properties - stress tensor

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Deborah MacPherson <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 14:14:05 -0400
Hi John, everyone

I'm part of a work group for OmniClass Properties which deals with building materials. The terminology is OK and most participating are SME's. The problem we are having is dealing with something like tensile strength that means one thing with steel and another with epoxy flooring. Any suggestions for multiple contexts/usages/definitions/testing and performance requirements?

Thanks

Deborah

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 8:18 AM, John F. Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 7/11/2011 4:16 AM, David Leal wrote:
> With a very loose RDF-type meaning of "property", this use
> of the term is OK...

That is why I do not recommend RDF -- or many other needlessly
complicated notations and the baggage they drag along.

> A von Mises's equivalent stress may be a physical property of a
> body B at a point P, but it is surely not a physical property of the
> stress tensor. Instead it is derivable from the stress tensor by a
> mathematical operation. It so happens that this derived quantity has
> a physical meaning - it is a predictor of plastic flow.

That paragraph uses a lot of specialized terminology from the
subject matter.  That is the way that a subject matter expert
talks, and the ontology should stay as close as possible to
the terminology used by the SME.

Words like 'property', 'attribute', 'feature', 'facet', etc.,
all map to one-place predicates or relations in logic.

Therefore, I would only use *one* metalevel word.  In Common Logic,
that word is 'relation'.  Everything maps to a relation.

Bottom line:  When you talk about the ontology for a subject,
you should only use the terminology of that subject.

John

Deborah L. MacPherson CSI CCS, AIA
Specifications and Research Cannon Design
Projects Director, Accuracy&Aesthetics

The content of this email may contain private
and confidential information. Do not forward,
copy, share, or otherwise distribute without
explicit written permission from all correspondents.