Re: [ontolog-forum] Why most classifications are fuzzy

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 16:19:56 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, July 6, 2011 14:38, AzamatAbdoullaev said:
> John wrote
>> "And a warning:  Unless you can find an immutable law of nature
>> that creates a classification, don't expect it to be a solid
>> foundation for a "standard ontology".    (01)

> Agree. Here are five methodogical rules from the standard ontology:
> 1. Class is determined by a single property;    (02)

This definition would block many subclasses, unless the property
is defined as membership in the class.    (03)

> 2. Kind is determined by a set of properties;    (04)

Is this a useful distinction?    (05)

> 3. Natural Kind is determined by a set of lawfully related properties
> (laws);
> 4. Natural Genus is the set of things sharing a basic law;    (06)

I haven't heard this term except in the context of Linneaen taxonomy.    (07)

> 5. Natural Species is the set of things sharing a particular law.    (08)

The term has a useful meaning in biology; but what is its use otherwise?    (09)

> Many classifications are mostly at the level one, like the five
> classifications for natural resources, such as land, water, soils, plants,
> animals, solar power, etc, divided by a single property: origin;
> renewability, availability, development stage or distribution scope.    (010)

There are many gradations of wetlands reaching from soggy ground to
standing shallow water.  A rigid division between land and water is quite
arbitrary.  Fungi used to be classified as plants, but now they are a
different kingdom.    (011)

> A more
> scientific understanding of resources is asking for reaching higher
> levels.    (012)

Even at this level there are difficulties.    (013)

-- doug foxvog    (014)

> Azamat Abdoullaev

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (016)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.