Re: [ontolog-forum] Why most classifications are fuzzy

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 11:21:33 -0400
John -    (01)

On 2011-07-06, at 12:45 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:    (02)

> And a warning:  Unless you can find an immutable law of nature
> that creates a classification, don't expect it to be a solid
> foundation for a "standard ontology".    (03)

Agreed.    (04)

My view of (imagined) reality has been largely financial services
(e.g. mutual funds, brokerage, banking, & various forms of
insurance).  In my career, I have only worked directly for a single
firm that actually made a physical product (junk jewelry)...
otherwise everything has been paper pushing, describing various
facets of non-dimensional products.    (05)

Quite naturally, since these industries are all conjured out of thin
air, there are no natural laws to impose organizational discipline.    (06)

 From what I've seen, "organization" is largely the last minute panic
to make the next deadline.  Does tend to leave a chaotic residue
which only gets worse over time.    (07)

Since this ontology interest has arisen, it has been rattling around
in the back of my mind if ontologies can be applied to things like
financial "products."    (08)

Personally I vacillate between describing financial "products" as
either "non-dimensional" or "N-dimensional."  In any case these
products are stuff that cannot be put on a scale & weighted or have a
caliper applied to them.  It's just information which as far as I
know we have no idea how to measure other than silly things like
"lines of code."    (09)