Re: [ontolog-forum] Theory of properties - stress tensor

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Leal <david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 09:16:06 +0100
Dear Doug,    (01)

>The answer to the first question would depend upon how the ontology
>defined "quantity".  So long as the ontology accepts matricies as
>Quantities, then the tensor could be regarded as a quantity.    (02)

But a stress tensor IS NOT A MATRIX !!!! :) It is a function, which
can be encoded as a matrix, and for which an evaluation can be
calculated by matrix operations. So are we happy that some quantities
are functions?    (03)

> > ...  Is a von Mises's equivalent stress regarded as a "property"
> of a stress tensor?
>
>Yes, it should be.    (04)

With a very loose RDF-type meaning of "property", this use of the
term is OK. But is we think of physical properties that are
measurable aspects of physical objects, then the use of the term is
not. A  von Mises's equivalent stress may be a physical property of a
body B at a point P, but it is surely not a physical property of the
stress tensor. Instead it is derivable from the stress tensor by a
mathematical operation. It so happens that this derived quantity has
a physical meaning - it is a predictor of plastic flow.    (05)

Best regards,
David    (06)