Re: [ontolog-forum] Theory of properties - stress tensor

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "AzamatAbdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 13:40:06 +0300
Dear David,    (01)

As you well know, the power of tensor (analysis) consists in dealing with
the relationships, the relations of laws, which are valid regardless of the
reference systems, the so-called covariant relationships. The
arguments/members of such relations are properties (variabe quantities or
predicate variables), and not individuals, or individual/object variables.
Among variable quantities, there are all sorts of variables: arguments,
chance variables, scalars, vectors as well as tensors.
Its degree, rank or order is about dimensionality (of the underlying vector
space or manifold space), 0-order tensor makes a scalar, a1st order tensor
makes a vector, etc.
Yes, by definition, tensor quantities describe linear relations among
scalars (temperature, pressure, density), vectors (acceleration, force) and
tensors (mechanical stress tensor). Although, tensor analysis could cover
many nonlinear natural phenomena, like as in Nonlinear Optics.
Kind regards,
Azamat Abdoullaev