Re: [ontolog-forum] Need advice - Request a quick opinion on ontology la

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Zhuk, Yefim" <Yefim.Zhuk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 11:38:05 -0400
Leo, John,    (01)

>From technology perspectives, I'd think of Semantic Web as a chain of
>beautiful ideas: Internet - Web Links - Linked Data - Distributed and Linked
>Knowledge.     (02)

While Cyc worked on the knowledge backbone creating "common sense" reasoning
engine and knowledgebase, semantic web can be considered as a front end.     (03)

I know this is not exactly "front end", but you get what I mean.
It would be nice to connect both backend and front end but unfortunate
disagreement between the standards does not allow the connection.    (04)

As it often happens with the front end, the business logics/rules were not
built-in and are coming up as patches to OWL and complementary standards.    (05)

The big thing for SW was the brand itself and its promotion. Simple ideas are
easy to promote and many more people know today about SW.
This helps the whole industry of knowledge engineering, which is quickly
learning to transition from science to practical aspects.    (06)

Thoughts?    (07)

Yefim (Jeff)    (08)