Re: [ontolog-forum] Need advice - Request a quick opinion on ontology la

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 16:25:58 -0400
On 5/25/2011 1:17 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> Yes, assuming (as I do)  you see Linked Data Graphs and RDF as being
> distinct:-)
>
> Now in the case of Watson though, the Linked Datasets were in RDF form
> (a Semantic Web Project output) prior to ingestion, as part of Watson
> learning process etc..    (01)

That is just a difference in terminology.  Guha had been the associate
director at Cyc, where represented triples in Lisp:  (A B C).    (02)

Later, he was working at Apple, where he used triples for a notation
he called Metacontent Facility (MCF).  Then he worked with Tim Bray,
who defined an XML notation for MCF.  Later they changed the name
to RDF to avoid the association with Apple.    (03)

But now, the W3C uses the term RDFa for a notation where the triple
is implicit, and it doesn't even look like a triple until you extract
it from the context.    (04)

In any case, the amount of semantics in a triple is so small that
it's misleading to say that Watson depended on or benefited from
SW technology in any significant way.    (05)

You could just as easily blame SW technology for leading Watson
into the blunder about Toronto being a US city.  I would prefer
to attribute both the credit and the blame to the Watson design,
not to the sources it used.    (06)