Re: [ontolog-forum] Need advice - Request a quick opinion on ontology la

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 20:50:48 -0400
On 5/25/2011 4:56 PM, Obrst, Leo J. wrote:
> ontologies/semantics are more thriving today than they were 10 years ago.
> At least millions of people now think they know something about semantics.    (01)

I agree that more people have heard the terms, but I've seen too many
boom and bust cycles in AI to consider that a good sign.    (02)

As a number of knowledgeable people have noticed, the publications on
knowledge representation and related topics in the 1990s were *more*
significant than the majority of "Gee-Whiz, I just learned OWL"
publications during the past few years.    (03)

> The good still far outweighs the bad.    (04)

Could you please point to any technical advances with SW technology
that are superior to projects that did not use SW technology?    (05)