Re: [ontolog-forum] Need advice - Request a quick opinion on ontology la

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 11:03:40 -0400
On 5/25/11 10:52 AM, John F. Sowa wrote:
> Prolog, for example, is used to support some very large, mission
> critical applications, in both industry and government.  As another
> example, the IBM Watson system for jeopardy uses Prolog as its
> reasoning engine -- it does not use any SW tools.
John,    (01)

But, and this is really really important, it leveraged Linked Datasets
such as DBpedia and others from the Linked Open Data cloud.    (02)

Structured Linked Data, Machine Learning, and Natural Languages are 3
equally critical components of the Watson story. Take one of these
components out of the mix and Watson doesn't happen.    (03)

As you know, the Watson setup itself speaks volumes about how IBM put
all of the above to use. I fantasize about a Machine vs Machine edition
of Jeopardy (in the future) that pits algorithms against algorithms
where all parties (other players in this realm) have a common structured
linked substrate as the knowledgebase foundation :-)    (04)

Regards,    (06)

Kingsley Idehen
President&  CEO
OpenLink Software