Re: [ontolog-forum] Need advice - Request a quick opinion on ontology la

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 18:22:55 -0400
Duane -
  I suggest you not settle for anything less expressive than common logic.
  For broad semantic interoperability it will be necessary to be able to
express meanings unambiguously, so all users can agree on the meaning.  In
some cases, this will actually require procedural code when the meanings of
physical properties depend on the method of measurement - and the
measurement procedure needs to be encoded procedurally to avoid ambiguity
(i.e. code to automatically operate specific measuring devices, thus
unambiguously specifying the measuring process).  This capability is not
likely to be needed immediately but must be available when required).    (01)

   At this stage in the development of knowledge representation methods, it
is likely that baby steps such as OWL will rapidly be superseded, so if your
project is expected to last more than, say, 5 years, don't compromise the
ability to avoid ambiguity.    (02)

   If IKL is not considered as a variant of common logic, it should be added
to the list of possibilities.    (03)

  If you are interested in "mapping" different languages (each having a
grammar and a vocabulary) to each other, I believe it will also be necessary
to agree on a common basic vocabulary - what I call the "Primitive Inventory
Foundation Ontology" (PIFO), containing representations of all the known
semantic primitives so that complex concepts in each language can be
decomposed into their parts and thereby related to complex concepts in other
languages.  Settling on an ontology language by itself will not guarantee
that the vocabularies of separately developed ontologies can be accurately
mapped.    (04)

Pat    (05)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.