Re: [ontolog-forum] Need advice - Request a quick opinion on ontology la

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 16:34:31 -0400
On 5/25/11 4:25 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:
> On 5/25/2011 1:17 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> Yes, assuming (as I do)  you see Linked Data Graphs and RDF as being
>> distinct:-)
>>
>> Now in the case of Watson though, the Linked Datasets were in RDF form
>> (a Semantic Web Project output) prior to ingestion, as part of Watson
>> learning process etc..
John,    (01)

> That is just a difference in terminology.  Guha had been the associate
> director at Cyc, where represented triples in Lisp:  (A B C).
I know that :-)    (02)

Google up on: RDF invented Triple, you'll notice I debunk that
misconception repeatedly. I also never fail to highlight Lisp genealogy
re. Linked Data genealogy etc..    (03)

> Later, he was working at Apple, where he used triples for a notation
> he called Metacontent Facility (MCF).  Then he worked with Tim Bray,
> who defined an XML notation for MCF.  Later they changed the name
> to RDF to avoid the association with Apple.    (04)

Yes, I actually know him, and had some dealings with him way back after
his Netscape stint.    (05)

> But now, the W3C uses the term RDFa for a notation where the triple
> is implicit, and it doesn't even look like a triple until you extract
> it from the context.
>
> In any case, the amount of semantics in a triple is so small that
> it's misleading to say that Watson depended on or benefited from
> SW technology in any significant way.    (06)

I said Linked Data which != RDF.    (07)

My RDF reference was simply about the fact that to many, DBpedia dataset
is RDF based, and RDF is ground zero for the Semantic Web Project, thus
it used some Semantic Web tech etc..    (08)

> You could just as easily blame SW technology for leading Watson
> into the blunder about Toronto being a US city.    (09)

You mean, the Linked Data it ingested, of course that could be the case
if the data quality (with inference in mind) was low.    (010)

>   I would prefer
> to attribute both the credit and the blame to the Watson design,
> not to the sources it used.    (011)

Prolog was a tool, right? :-)    (012)

Kingsley
> John