Re: [ontolog-forum] Need advice - Request a quick opinion on ontology l

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 11:21:22 -0400
On 5/27/11 11:17 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> As I said, there are many good people in the W3C, but I have a jaded
>> >  view of design by committee.
> I don't like it either, its inherently flawed. This approach works when
> standardizing de facto standards, or when constructing de facto
> standards from what's already in use. The problem I see with W3C is that
> they are putting cart before horse via this evolution into standards
> prescription organization.
>
> We have an interesting re. Linked Data that could really help all
> parties i.e., acknowledging that:    (01)

Meant to say:    (02)

We have an interesting *opportunity* re. Linked Data *meme* that could
really help all parties by acknowledging that:    (03)

1. It isn't a standard, it's a concept with long history modulo scale
that WWW ubiquity delivers via HTTP URIs    (04)

2. Plurality when it comes to actual Linked Data Graph representation
choices, JSON, XML, ASN.1 etc.. are all acceptable basis for data
representation syntaxes    (05)

3. HTTP URIs are a convenient and cost-effective option for resolvable
data object names, but not the only option.    (06)

Regards,    (08)

Kingsley Idehen
President&  CEO
OpenLink Software