Re: [ontolog-forum] Need advice - Request a quick opinion on ontology la

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 10:07:17 -0700
I have a request for this group.  When referring to AI, we might want to
consider using the more modern term "CI" or (as we would say in
ActionScript):     (01)

s/CI/AI/;    (02)

Many in the IEEE now consider CI ( Computational Intelligence) as a more
appropriate moniker for AI (ref: http://www.ieee-cis.org/).  The term
"artificial" seems irrelevant as an adjective when describing aspects of a
system while computational infers an important observable aspect.  I've been
a member of the IEEE CI Society for 3 years now and my own interpretation is
CI (as defined by the IEEE) embodies the culmination of knowledge from
previous AI work including Ontology Research, Swarm Grammars (a.k.a "
Adaptive Dynamic Programming/Weighting"), architectural patterns such as the
Blackboard pattern, fuzzy logic, neural Networks,evolutionary learning
systems, autonomous mental development and bioinformatics/engineering. Data
mining from disparate systems of the types listed above is another primary
focus.    (03)

What is notable is that all of these concepts, particularly the latter, seem
to assume a shared conceptualization of a domain, aka ontology.  The old
GIGO philosophy is important yet a neglected (IMO) aspect of a lot of this
research.  Of course, who am I to argue that ontology should be a foundation
discipline of any CI work.    (04)

All of your input is extremely relevant and timely and again, I would like
to extend thanks for this group and their contributions.    (05)

Duane Nickull    (06)

On 5/25/11 5:50 PM, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (07)

> On 5/25/2011 4:56 PM, Obrst, Leo J. wrote:
>> ontologies/semantics are more thriving today than they were 10 years ago.
>> At least millions of people now think they know something about semantics.
>
> I agree that more people have heard the terms, but I've seen too many
> boom and bust cycles in AI to consider that a good sign.
>
> As a number of knowledgeable people have noticed, the publications on
> knowledge representation and related topics in the 1990s were *more*
> significant than the majority of "Gee-Whiz, I just learned OWL"
> publications during the past few years.
>
>> The good still far outweighs the bad.
>
> Could you please point to any technical advances with SW technology
> that are superior to projects that did not use SW technology?
>
> John

>     (08)

---
Adobe LiveCycle Enterprise Architecture -
http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/
Adobe MAX 2011 - http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2011/03/adobe-max-2011.html
TV Show - http://tv.adobe.com/show/duanes-world/
Blog ­ http://technoracle.blogspot.com/