Re: [ontolog-forum] "tribal knowledge"

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Zhuk, Yefim" <Yefim.Zhuk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 11:13:51 -0400

Hi Dave!

I am glad to see you online and hear about your new projects.

> was already captured (in documents) but barely findable

Information is often captured in the shape and form visible and understandable by a captor but not others.

>One of the more productive ways to intentionally develop knowledge is through guided experiments and guided practice

This is very close to what we’ll be doing. The program uses conversational approach and semantic support to solicit necessary pieces of information from a SME and capture this information in a proper format.

Check the Rules Collector link. This is not exactly what we do but a good illustration.

> We did build a pretty good ontology

And you did it for us (SLM) too! It was a great start.

The puzzle I am trying to solve is how to establish a process where this small model can naturally grow by daily interactions with SMEs.

I believe that in several years knowledge engineering will be taught at schools similar to math. It looks today like a big leap, a lot of steps and efforts by a lot of people, including people on this list.

See you at SemTech,

Yefim (Jeff)