Re: [ontolog-forum] Relating and Reconciling Ontologies

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 13:41:45 -0400
Kingsley,    (01)

On 4/26/2011 8:56 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
<snip>
> I would also point out that "public access" does not enable anyone to
>> make meaningful analysis of data.
> Publicly available information is a nice base from which to re-engineer
> data sources and underlying data models constrained by some kind of
> ontology. That's what middleware facilitates in the data realm today.
> We reverse engineer knowledge, information, and data everyday as
> cognitive beings. Computers are simply catching up to what we've done
> for eons :-)

You missed my point.    (02)

Availability of data != Competence to analyze data.    (03)

And since you mention it, middleware cannot confer competence to analyze
data either.    (04)

Given the lack of experience at the depths Deep Horizon was operating,
even detailed information would have been of little use to anyone
outside a fairly narrow pool of experts.    (05)

Middleware might assist those experts but they would need domain
expertise before the software would be of any use.    (06)

Hope you are having a great day!    (07)

Patrick    (08)

>> Hope you are having a great day!
>>
>> Patrick

Patrick Durusau
patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
Co-Editor, ISO/IEC 13250-1, 13250-5 (Topic Maps)    (010)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau    (011)